- Ph.D. History, West Virginia University, Morgantown, W.Va.
- M.A. History, West Virginia University
- M.S. Human Nutrition, Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
- B.S. Nutritional Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- The Humanities and Technology Camp, Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media, Fairfax, VA.
- Digital Humanities Winter Institute, College Park, MD.
- Online Instructor, Bluefield State College, Bluefield, W.Va.
- Graduate Instructor, West Virginia University, Morgantown, W.Va.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, West Virginia University
- Research Assistant, West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University
Research Interests/Professional Activities
Smith participated in a digital archive project for Helvetia Community Archives in Helvetia, W.Va., and an oral history project for Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, W.Va. Also, he made a presentation at the West Virginia Phi Alpha Theta Regional Conference focusing on the topic “The Redbaiting of Senator Harley Kilgore: An Example of the Limits of McCarthyism During the Second Red Scare” and at the North Carolina State University Graduate Student History Conference titled “‘Food Will Win the War’: Passage of the Lever Food Control Act During World War I.”
Smith was awarded multiple fellowships at West Virginia University including the Eberly College of Arts and Science Summer Intern Fellowship, History Department Dissertation Research Fellowship, Chitwood Fellowship, Doctoral Student Stipend Enhancement Fellowship and Anna Traubert Fellowship. In addition, Smith was presented with the Robert and Wynona Wilkins Outstanding Graduate Student Award from WVU. In 2014, he was awarded the American History Award by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.
Smith, J. (2007). The Red-Baiting of Senator Harley Kilgore: An Example of the Limits of McCarthyism During the Second Red Scare. West Virginia History: A Journal of Regional Studies 1.1 (pp. 55-74).
Smith was born and raised and in Elkins and recently moved back to the area. He and his wife have a young son.