International Students

At Davis & Elkins College, we feel strongly that diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences are integral parts of a liberal arts education.


That’s why we welcome international students, who infuse our campus with a lively mix of cultures, ethnicities, and languages. Roughly ten percent of D&E’s campus is comprised of international students: qualified, motivated, deeply curious individuals who thrive in the small, creative, close-knit community Davis & Elkins College provides.

International students (anyone who would require a U.S. student visa-F1&J1-to study at the College) follow the same application process as domestic students, with a few additional requirements.

For more information about traveling to campus and your time on campus, visit the Accepted Students section of the website.


Application Process

We are happy to assist you on your international journey to Davis & Elkins College. The process is simple, just follow these four steps:

  • submit our FREE online application;
  • submit an official copy of your high school transcript*;
  • submit official college transcript(s)* if you are a transfer student;
  • submit an official copy of either your ACT, SAT, IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE Academic scores; and,
  • submit a completed certification of finances form.

*High school or college transcripts that are not presented in English must be submitted to SPANTRAN for translation and evaluation. 

Please contact our International Enrollment Advisor, Kristi Cross, at if you have questions regarding the application process.

international student checklist

After the VISA Interview
  • Contact International Student Services for shuttle sign-up and the Orientation schedule.
  • Make airline reservations and travel arrangements.
  • Get missing immunizations, including an English-language translation of the record.
  • Consider prescription medications you may need with a copy of your doctor’s prescription.
  • Put your I-20 or DS-2019, financial documents, passport, immunization records, and admission letter in your carry-on luggage.
On the Plane
  • Complete your I-94 and customs declaration form during the plane ride.
At the U.S. Port of Entry (Customs Area)
  • Give the immigration official your I-20 or DS-2019, passport and customs declaration form with the I-94 form attached.
  • Before you leave, be certain that the immigration official stamped both your I-94 card and I-20 or DS-2019 with either F1 D/S or J1 D/S.
Upon Arrival
  • Check-in at the Office of Student Life – International Student Services!
  • Attend the orientation program.
  • Get your D&E ID card and bring your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, and I-94 card.
  • Present immunization records to the Office of Student Life.
  • Pay tuition and health insurance fee.
  • If you plan to live off-campus, read the international student off-campus housing policy.


Students with flag
Make Travel Plans

You may arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20 or DS-2019. There are two airports from which D&E will provide a shuttle to campus – Pittsburgh International Airport and North Central WV Airport in Clarksburg, W.Va.

Pack for Warm and Cold Weather

West Virginia has a four-season climate. Please bring clothing to accommodate a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions. Dress for class is casual; however, you may want to bring a few formal outfits for special events.

National Weather Service Climate Information for Elkins, West Virginia

Elkins’s coldest month is January when the average temperature overnight is 18.0°F. In July, the warmest month, the average day time temperature rises to 81.7°F. The driest month in Elkins is October with 2.86 inches of precipitation, and with 4.83 inches July is the wettest month.

Always Hand-Carry Your Important Documents

Keep the following documents on your person at all times during travel to the U.S.: passport, I-20 or DS-2019, financial documents, D&E admission letter, SEVIS fee receipt, and D&E pre-arrival guide.

Complete Entry Paperwork In-Flight

If you are traveling by air, flight attendants should hand you a Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059) and Arrival/Departure Record Forms (I-94). If you are arriving by land or sea, the immigration officer will provide you with the CF-6059 and the I-94 form at the port of entry.

Go to the Port of Entry (POE)

Proceed to the Custom and Borders Inspection site near the terminal area. Be prepared to present your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 and the CF-6059.

The address on the I-94 form should reflect the address where you will reside in the U.S., even if it is temporary.

Secondary Inspection (if needed)

If the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer cannot verify your information or you do not have all the required documentation, you may be directed to what is known as secondary inspection. The CBP officer will first try to check your status by using SEVIS. If the CBP officer needs to verify information with your school or program, give the officer Davis & Elkins College contact information.

Lowe Del G. Aviles
International Student Services Director
Office: 304-637-1311

You will have to state your reason for entering the United States.

Please tell the Customs and Borders Protection (CBP) officer that you will be a student (if you are coming for a degree program) or that you will be teaching or conducting research (if you are a J-1 scholar or professor). Be prepared to provide the College address and additional information such as financial documents or your admission letter. Do not leave without getting your I-20 or DS-2019 and your I-94 card stamped F/1 D/S for F-1 student, and J/1 D/S for exchange visitors.

Meet with International Student Services

Upon arrival to campus, visit International Student Services in Liberal Arts Hall.


Student event

Keep Your Passport Valid

Make sure your passport is valid at all times. Renewal applications must be made with the Embassy or Consulate of the country issuing the passport. You will need a certification of student status from Davis & Elkins College (this can be obtained from the Office of Admission). Addresses of embassies and consulates are available from the U.S. Department of State website at

Report Address Changes 

You are required report any address change to the International Student Services within 10 days of the address change. If you are subject to the U.S. Government’s Special Registration Procedures, you must also report address changes within 10 days to the government.


Obtain Prior Authorization from the International Counselor to Drop Below a Full Course of Study 

 You are required to pursue a full course of study during normal enrollment periods (fall, winter and spring semesters). Full-time at Davis & Elkins College is 12 credit hours. You are allowed to deviate from this full course of study only with PRIOR authorization from International Student Services, and only under very limited circumstances.


Report Departure Date and Reason to International Student Services

 If for any reason you will be leaving the College early or unexpectedly, before the date on your I-20, (early graduation, leave of absence, suspension, expulsion or family emergencies) you are required to inform International Student Services and provide the reason for doing so.


Abide by Employment Regulations 

Students may work no more than 20 hours per week on campus while school is in session. You are not permitted to work off campus without receiving PRIOR authorization from the U.S. Federal Government and/or International Student Services depending upon your visa status type.


Apply for an Extension of Program

You must apply for an extension of your program prior to the expiration date on your form I-20 if you cannot complete your program by that date. Requests for extensions should be submitted prior to the expiration date of the Form I-20 so the extension process can be completed prior to the expiration date on the document F-1.


Change Your Academic Program or Degree Level

You must obtain a new I-20 if you change your academic program from one major/field of study to another (e.g., from criminal justice to biology). You must receive a new I-20 from International Student Services.


Receive Authorization to Travel 

You must notify International Student Services prior to traveling outside the U.S. so that the I-20 can be endorsed for travel. Students must notify International Student Services as soon as you know the anticipated travel date.

Report Dependents 

You must notify International Student Services if you will be adding or deleting a dependent due to marriage, divorce, birth of a child or a dependent moving to the United States to live with you.

Report Changes in Financial Information 

You are required to report any change in who is paying for your education.



All international students are required to complete the SEVIS registration procedure within the first 10 days of each semester.

This is to ensure that the required documents are placed on file at the International Student Services Office and for ISS to comply with the Federal Immigration Regulation to report necessary information about your status to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security via SEVIS.