D&E COVID-19 statistics
The cooperative effort to maintain a safe and healthy campus is the top priority at D&E. In an effort to provide a complete picture about the status of COVID-19 on campus, click here for updated COVID-19 testing data. Click here for updated vaccination data.
Free COVID-19 tests available to traveling students before departure in May
Students may receive a free COVID-19 test through DirectCare of Elkins (directions). Testing hours are as follow:
- Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Sunday: noon – 4:00 p.m.
On-campus Testing will take place Monday, May 3, from 9-10:30 a.m. in the lobby of Gribble Hall. If you are traveling internationally and require test results for flight access, contact: Lowe Del G. Aviles, Director of International Student Services, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-637-1311.
Quiet period begins Friday night
The Office of Student Life has announced that the 24-hour quiet hours begin on Friday, April 30, at 11:59 p.m. and will continue through the end of the semester (noon on Friday, May 7). There will be a $30 fine for each violation.
Exam snacks available
Exam week snacks will be available at the Cadillac Daddy Café/Madden Student Center beginning on Sunday, May 2, and continuing through Wednesday, May 5, from 9:00-10:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 2 – Sundaes on Sunday: Sundae Bar
- Monday, May 3 – Late Night Breakfast: Breakfast Bar
- Tuesday, May 4 – Taco Tuesday: Taco Bar
- Wednesday, May 5 – Pizza Buffet
Extended hours for Booth Library
Booth Library hours of operation for exam week will be as follows:
Sunday, May 2 – 2:00 p.m.-12:00 midnight
Monday, May 3 – 9:00 a.m.-12:00 midnight
Tuesday, May 4 – 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m.
Wednesday, May 5 – 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
Thursday, May 6 – 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Friday, May 7 – 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
For complete details on end-of-semester campus procedures, students should check their April 28 email from the Office of Student Life.
End-of-semester dining services schedule
- The Cadillac Daddy Café will close on Wednesday, May 5, at 2:00 p.m.
- The Caboose Café will be open regular hours Monday, May 3, through Wednesday, May 5. It will close for the semester at the end of the business day on May 5.
- The Benedum Dining Room will be open for regular meals through Wednesday, May 5. Only brunch and dinner will be served on Thursday, May 6. The dining room will close for the semester at the completion of Thursday dinner service.
- Weekend pack outs will be available upon request on Thursday, May 6, through the Benedum Dining Room.
Procedures outlined for residence hall closure at end of semester
- All residential students are to be out of the residence halls within 24 hours of their last exam, but no later than noon on Friday, May 7. Exceptions are graduating students, Resident Assistants, and students approved by the Office of Student Life. Graduates have until noon on Sunday, May 9, to be out of the residence halls.
- Before you leave your room for the semester, be sure you have completed the following:
- Submit any outstanding maintenance requests to your Resident Assistant or Residence Director.
- Remove all personal belongings from the room and return all furniture to original positions.
- Clean the room thoroughly. The room must be spotless.
- Remove all trash from the building. Do not throw garbage away in the hallways, suites, or bathrooms. Extra trash bags will be made available by the Housekeeping Staff.
- Turn off heat/air-conditioning (Moyer Hall & Presidential Center).
- Close and lock all doors and windows.
Express Check-out available this year
Residential students will be allowed to utilize an express check-out this academic year.
- In exchange for the ability to check out without a formal process, the ability to contest/appeal cleaning or damage charges is WAIVED.
- Resident Assistants will hand deliver the express check-out form and envelope to EVERY residential student on their hall.
- Residential students must fill out the form completely. Enclose the form and room key(s) in the provided envelope and seal it securely.
- Drop the envelope in the key drop boxes located in or near the lobby of each residence hall OR hand deliver the completed form and key(s) to the Office of Student Life Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
If you have not contracted for housing for next year (2021-22 academic year), room sign-up will take place in the coming week. Stop by the Office of Student Life before you leave campus.
Residence hall move-out procedures
The Office of Student Life requires you vacate your residence hall room within 24 hours of your last final. This will result in a phased move out. As noted on the Academic Calendar and in the Davis & Elkins College Policy Manual: Volume VI, Student Life Policies, the residence halls will officially close at the end of the semester according to the following schedule:
- May 7 – residence halls close for non-graduates at noon; and
- May 9 – residence halls close for graduates at noon (this applies to graduates and students approved to stay only).
Summer storage not available on campus
Storage for any personal property or belongings is not available on campus. Anything left in rooms, suites, hallways, or bathrooms will be disposed of by the Housekeeping Staff. A list of storage facilities in the Elkins area is available by contacting the Office of Student Life at email@example.com.
May 8 Commencement to include three in-person ceremonies
D&E will hold in-person commencement ceremonies on Saturday, May 8. As a precautionary measure, three separate ceremonies will be held during the course of the day in Harper-McNeeley Auditorium in the Myles Center for the Arts:
- Saturday, May 8, 10:00 a.m. – Nursing
- Saturday, May 8. 1:00 p.m. – Business; Education & Sports Science
- Saturday, May 8, 4:00 p.m. – Creative Arts; Humanities; Natural Sciences; Social Sciences
You can access Commencement planning details by clicking here.
End-of-semester airport shuttle registration deadline is today
The D&E Office of Student Life will again offer airport shuttle transportation for students departing campus at the end of the semester. Complimentary airport shuttles from campus will operate on May 7 and May 9 and the deadline to register is April 30. Shuttle departures start at 5:00 a.m. each day. For more shuttle information, visit the Transportation page on the D&E website or contact the Office of Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org Students returning for the Fall 2021 semester who are interested in using the airport shuttle to campus may also email the Office of Student Life for the tentative 2021-22 shuttle schedule.
Students not returning for Fall 2021 semester must give notice
Any student not returning for the Fall 2021 semester must go through the appropriate process with Angie Scott, Director for Student Recruitment & Success. She may be reached via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 304-637-1983 (office) or 304-642-6217 (mobile).
Senators really are the best! Students had another great week with COVID-19 prevention! Your diligence has been remarkable, and you have led by example. Exam week is upon us and it is vital that you continue your safe practices on campus. Please wear your mask, practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently, avoid large crowds, and encourage your fellow students to do the same. Do your part to help make the D&E community healthy and safe!