What to Do in the Event of Sexual Assault

The purpose of this page is to provide information and assistance to victims of sexual misconduct or those who may be helping a victim.

Being forced into sexual activity, relationship violence or stalking, even if it is a date, a steady relationship or a casual acquaintance, is still sexual misconduct. Making decisions and regaining control are important to the healing process after an assault.

Remember, you are not alone, and you are not to blame. Sexual misconduct can happen to anyone, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. In the event of sexual misconduct, D&E can offer interim protection measures and assistance to help individuals feel safe and move on with their life.


What is sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is a term used to describe a wide variety of unwanted behaviors related to gender ranging from harassment, stalking, relationship violence and exploitation, to sexual assault or rape.


What to do if you have been sexually assaulted


  • Get to a safe place. Call 911 or Campus Security, 304-704-9111, if you need help getting to safety.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible. Medical examinations are essential to detect injuries, and for possible protection against diseases or pregnancy. Medical professionals can also help preserve evidence. Call Davis Medical Center, 304-636-3300, or Student Health Services, 304-637-1234.
  • Seek support. Women’s Aid in Crisis can provide an advocate who can accompany a victim of any gender to the hospital or any other health care provider. Call 304-636-8433.

Sometimes victims of sexual assault will remain quiet for weeks, months or years before coming forward with an assault. If you are a victim who has been silent, seeking out support from someone you can trust and feel comfortable with is important. D&E encourages victims of sexual assault to talk to somebody in order to get the support they need.

  • Women’s Aid in Crisis offers confidential counseling, advocacy, health, mental health and sexual assault resources regardless of the gender of the victim. 304-636-8433.
  • Campus counselors are available by appointment. Appointments are made through Student Health Services, 304-637-1234.


How to report sexual assault

Off Campus

Law Enforcement

Please be advised that criminal processes are independent of Davis & Elkins College.

Randolph County Sheriff’s Office
Elkins Police Department
West Virginia State Police


On Campus

Responsible Employees

Many employees (faculty members, administrators, residence assistants and directors, coaches, advisors) are able to offer emotional support to victims and help direct them to appropriate resources. Responsible employees, upon receiving notice of sexual misconduct, are required by law to notify the Title IX Coordinator the details of sexual misconduct.

Title IX Coordinator

Victims of sexual misconduct may file a report directly with the Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator is available to offer ongoing support to victims of sexual assault in understanding D&E’s investigative and/or disciplinary processes or the criminal process as the victim chooses.

The Title IX Coordinator has the duty to redress sexual violence and remedy the effects on the victim and the College community. The Coordinator will make every effort to maintain confidentiality, but may be required to investigate the incident.

Contact Kate Garlick, 304-637-1241.

Confidential Employees

D&E has employees who are available to offer victims of sexual assault support and guidance in a completely confidential environment. Individuals may choose this option if they want to talk about the incident but do not want any further action to be taken. Confidential employees can provide individuals with both immediate and long-term help. They will listen, and help access additional assistance and explain options for obtaining additional support.

  • Campus counselors: Appointments are made through Student Health Services, 304-637-1234.
  • Campus health providers: Student Health Services, 304-637-1234.

In addition to the confidential resources provided by the College, individuals may speak with off-campus crisis counselors, domestic violence resources, private agencies, and off-campus members of the clergy, each of whom will maintain confidentiality, except in extreme cases that involve a minor.


How do you help a friend?

A person who has been assaulted needs an empathetic listener who is nonjudgmental. Remain calm, and let the victim do the talking. Encourage the victim to seek medical attention and counseling.

Remember, it is the victim’s choice how and who to tell about the assault. Be clear and upfront about your ability to maintain confidentiality and reporting obligations. Listen without interrupting.

  • Don’t panic. Remain calm and concerned.
  • Respect the language the victim uses to identify what has happened.
  • Allow them to express their feelings.
  • Believe and support the victim.
  • Acknowledge discomfort and courage.
  • Remind the victim that they are not at fault.
  • Allow them to make their own decisions.
  • Provide resources and options.