THE INTER-MOUNTAIN - Students set to graduate with a degree in nursing gathered Friday evening in a special pinning ceremony at Davis & Elkins College, kicking off a weekend full of graduation events.
D&E also was hosting its Baccalaureate Service Friday night, and its 108th Commencement Ceremonies are scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. today at the Harper-McNeeley Auditorium.
D&E College President Chris A. Wood said the pinning ceremony is a “joyous occasion,” as it represents the students finding a calling for their vocation in life.
“I say to each of you, congratulations on a job well done,” Wood told the students, also encouraging them to bring kindness, healing and compassion to their future patients. “Be the very best nurses that you can possibly be.”
D&E nursing alumna Natasha D. Wamsley, who graduated in 2009, served as the ceremony’s main speaker. Wamsley shared her memories of nursing school and her professional experiences since then, and she told the students to believe in themselves and persevere as they step into their chosen career.
“Compassion and caring are the core of who we are as a nurse,” she said. “Regardless of the scenario, remember to make a difference in someone’s life. … Make a choice every day to be encouraging.”
Each student set to graduate took part in the pinning ceremony, received a long-stemmed red rose and took the Florence Nightingale Pledge to practice their profession faithfully.
The college’s 39th class to graduate with an Associate of Science degree in nursing included:
- Elizabeth C. Arbogast, of Bartow
- Macey K. Bennett, of Hambleton
- Dustin T. Bower, of Mullens
- Meagan M. Burgess, of Elkins
- Sydney F. Curtis, of Belington
- Sarah J. D’Angelo, of Belington
- Chantal M. Elza, of Cleveland, Ohio
- Ashley N. Enterline, of Hopewell, New Jersey
- Erin N. Herron, of Elkins
- Andrea M. Jones, of Elkins
- Rachel P. Jones, of Hacker Valley
- Tiona L. Kapnicky, of Fairmont
- Rodnitta R. Miller, of Buckhannon
- Lindsey L. Pifer, of Elkins
- Courtney M. Poling, of Thomas
- Emily M. Shreve, of Elkins
- Kayla D. Simmons, of Elkins
- Haley Smoot, of Elkins
- Andrea E. Thornhill, of Elkins
- Danielle N. Vild, of Belington
- Elizabeth D. Williams, of Ellamore
- Ridgley N. Williams, of Mill Creek
- Abigail Z. Wittig, of Troy, Virginia
The students graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing included:
- Lisa A. Black, of Hampstead, Maryland
- Courtney Boyles, of Grafton
- Amy D. Clevenger, of Beverly
- Nicole L. Edwards, of Princeton
- Lisa M. Fore, of Swansboro, North Carolina
- Tammy Gomer, of Frostburg, Maryland
- Julie R. Mundell, of Sinks Grove
- Deborah Tysor, of Elkins
- Mary R. Walker, of Martinsburg