Student Veterans

Davis & Elkins College is committed to providing services and personal assistance to ensure you receive everything you need to obtain a college education. Military veterans represent an important and diverse demographic of the D&E student body.

Military Friendly Schools           MAE Top Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities           Student Veterans of America

Applying to D&E

At Davis & Elkins College we pride ourselves on the long-lasting friendships that faculty and staff make with our students. We recognize the needs of our veteran students, are supportive of your endeavors and want to help you make a smooth transition to college life. To apply, simply submit an online application, an official high school transcript or equivalent and a copy of your DD214.

Veterans Benefits

The following are brief descriptions of benefits available to veterans:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill: Provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.
  • Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 30: (Active duty or non active duty) must have served in the United States Armed Forces for a period of two to four years and have been honorably discharged prior to returning to school.
  • Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 1606: (Selected reserve) must have completed Basic Training and AIT and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or West Virginia National Guard Unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available from your assigned unit.
  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31: (Disabled veterans) must make application with case worker and have disability rated. Veterans Certifying Official will receive Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-Entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status.
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program/Chapter 35: (For dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans) must complete Form 22-5490 and submit to Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established, a Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the dependent/spouse. The student should then make an appointment to see the Veterans Certifying Official.
  • Vocational and Educational Counseling/Chapter 36: Educational and career counseling to choose an appropriate civilian occupation and develop a training program and academic and adjustment counseling to resolve barriers that impede success in training or employment.

For more detailed information, please visit

Apply for Benefits

You will find the resources you need to apply for your benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (outlines benefits and eligibility requirements), VONAPP Online Application (application for VA benefits) and Veterans Upward Bound.


Amelia Rossi

Amelia Rossi
Associate Registrar
Veterans Liaison Officer
VA School Certifying Official
Liberal Arts Hall 103
Office: 304-637-1280
Email: rossia