Director, Upward Bound, TRiO
Location: Booth Library
Phone: o: 304-637-1989; c: 304-642-1428
What I Find Rewarding About D&E:
It is a privilege to spearhead the College’s efforts to provide college access opportunities and support students and families. I enjoy promoting the Upward Bound mission to guide economically challenged and first-generation Appalachian high school students to post secondary success.
As the director of Upward Bound, Carol administers and manages all program activities and staff in compliance with the Upward Bound grants and U.S. Department of Education requirements. She works to establish a network of partnerships with target area schools, agencies, state and local organizations, and businesses to ensure the accomplishment of grant initiatives.
- M.A. Special Education, Marshall University, Huntington, W.Va.
- B.A. Education, Bethany College, Bethany, W.Va.
Before becoming director of the Upward Bound programs in 1999, Carol worked as an assistant director and academic specialist for D&E’s programs. She also has worked as a distant learning educator, instructor, development coordinator and tutorial supervisor at West Virginia Wesleyan College. She served as a remediation instructor and tutor at Marshall’s Higher Education for Learning Problems at Marshall University.
Carol is a member of National College Access Network, WV TRiO, MEAEOPP and serves as a volunteer for the Upshur County Youth Livestock Association and Upshur County Extension Office for 4-H. She is also a member of the Randolph County America’s Promise Committee and is a WV College Goal Sunday volunteer having served as a site coordinator for six years. Carol has presented numerous workshops on a variety of topics promoting high school completion and higher education access, entry and completion.
- Outstanding Service Award, Mid-Eastern Association of Educational Opportunity Program (MEAEOPP) and West Virginia TRiO programs, March 2016
- Certificate of Recognition, Office of Governor of state of West Virginia, Earl Ray Tomblin, 2014
- TRiO Achiever, MEAEOPP & West Virginia Association of Education Opportunity Program Personnel (WVAEOPP), 1994
- Mountain State Award, State of West Virginia - Governor Bob Wise, 2002
- Vira Heinz Travel Award, Study Abroad Scholarship-analysis of British School Systems Effect on Learning, Heinz Foundation