The Naylor Learning Center provides accommodations for students with disabilities (504 accommodations) who are not enrolled in the Supported Learning Program.
- Disability must be documented by clear psycho-educational evaluation/doctor evaluation.
- It is the student’s responsibility to inform the College of their disability and request accommodations in accordance with their documentation.
- Students are not required to apply or join the fee-based Supported Learning Program, but it is important to note the SLP provides comprehensive support instead of merely providing accommodations as required by the ADA.
Additional resources can be found on the We Connect Now website.
Davis & Elkins college is was founded in 1904 with many of the current classroom buildings having been built in the 1920s. The campus is in a mountainous region of West Virginia hence it is not easily navigable by individuals with moderate to severe ambulatory problems. Accommodations have been made to enable those with mild or temporary ambulatory problems to include:
- Handicapped parking spaces
- Curb cuts
- Proper ramping in key areas
- Restroom accessibility
- Making accommodations by changing classrooms when necessary
- Elevators in some recently built classroom buildings
- Transporting students with temporary ambulation problems via security vehicles or golf carts
- Moving students to different rooms in Darby and Gribble Residence Halls
- Providing strobe lights for deaf students to synchronize with the fire alarm system